ITHACA –The State Diner, seriously damaged by fire and water Tuesday, will reopen, says the family which owns the city landmark on West State Street. Earlier this week, Ithaca Fire Chief Tom Parsons announced the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction.
“The diner will be built better and stronger and the whole family will run it again,” Bia Stavropoulos told the Journal. The Stavropoulos family has owned the popular eating spot since 1981. The diner itself opened in 1936.
Georgia Stavropoulos said the family received an “overwhelming flood of support.” Indeed, the family has been fielding calls from all over the country and the world.
It is still unknown how much it will cost to reopen. The Ithaca Fire Department has yet to determine the exact reason for the electrical malfunction which sparked the fire.
Source: The Ithaca Journal (Paywall)