ITHACA — Tuesday’s fire at Ithaca’s State Diner was caused by an electrical problem, the city’s fire chief announced Wednesday night. The afternoon fire, which caused severe smoke and water damage to the historic Ithaca landmark began between the ceiling and roof, going undetected for a period of time, said Fire Department Chief Tom Parsons.
The Ithaca Fire Department turned the building at 436 W. State St. back over to the diner’s owners Wednesday. The fire, which began at 4:40 pm, took 20-25 minutes to bring under control by the 24 firefighters to the scene. According to the Cornell Daily Sun, firefighters arriving on the scene saw flames coming from the roof.
According to Parsons, the fire “appears to have been burning for a period of time before being discovered and that contributed to the extensive damage of the building.” Although no injuries were reported, the diner will be closed for an unknown period.
For those who worked at the State , a benefit will be held on Oct. 31. The event, dubbed “Resurrect the State Diner Halloween Bash,” will take place at the Chanticleer. Organizers have established a Facebook page about the charity event which asks for donations of $3 per person.